Michael, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced Business Lawyer

where can I find guidelines for doing bylaws for athletic nonprofit

where can I find guidelines for doing bylaws for athletic nonprofit organization
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Michael replied 4 years ago.
Hi there, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a business law attorney with experience in all aspects of business law. I'll do my best to assist you.

There are not really any special bylaws for an "athletic" non-profit, but you certainly would want to modify them to suit your organization's needs.

An example of standard non-profit organizational bylaws is here:

As a general note, be sure you fully understand and comply with the requirements for certification as a tax-exempt not-for-profit (I assume you intend to register as a 501(3)c). There are many attorneys that specialize in this area of law that either do so for free (pro bono) or at a very reasonable rate. Check out "law clinics" in any law schools in your area, or "legal services" that serve non-profits. They might be able to help you get started. The IRS is very, very strict about organizing such enterprises, and you could spend years going back and forth with forms as they find problems with your application. Good advice is essential. Best of luck!

I hope this answer has been helpful. I'd be happy to further clarify my response and follow up with any other questions. If you're satisfied with my answer, remember to hit the "accept" button. Bonuses and positive feedback are always appreciated! -Michael