MDLaw
MDLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in business law, contract law and related matters.
16277701

I am a Federal Contract Security Officer threaten with job

Customer Question

I am a Federal Contract Security Officer threaten with job termination for refusing to pay union dues and instead pay to a non-profit organization as a Religious Objector. The Union is requesting that I provide them with the religion I belong to or adhere to. I find this line of questing out of line and a violation of my Civil Rights.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MDLaw replied 4 years ago.
If you are claiming some type of religious exemption, then they have a right to ask about your religion since it is you that is using it as a defense of sorts.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. Otherwise, please remember to hit the green ACCEPT button as that is the only way that we experts get compensated for our time, expertise, and research. We do not get paid by the website and so we rely on customers to honor the honor system and accept our responses so that we can continue to provide this service to people such as yourself. When leaving feedback, please also remember that we experts do not make the laws. We only report what the laws are and so please do not shoot the messenger.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I understand they have a right to request but I do feel not compel to disclose my religious beliefs to anyone especially if I am in compliance with the National Labor Relations Act 29USC SS 169. So I find myself out of a job for refusing to disclose what I feel is an infrignment of Civil Rights (Civils Rights Act of 1964) and take it to litigation (civil) in your expert opinion what are my chances.
Expert:  MDLaw replied 4 years ago.
We are prohibited from giving legal opinions. However, note that if you are trying to claim a religious exemption and then refuse to state what that religion is, it will be a hard argument to win.