Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I have a question. Can I enforce a non-compete in the state

I have a question. Can I enforce a non-compete in the state of California if I am selling a licensed territory of my business. I want to set it up where the person can not do the same business within a year after the contract is over.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Business litigation attorney here to assist you.Unfortunately, no. California law prohibits non-compete agreements. Under California Business and Professions Code § 16600, "every contract by which anyone is restrained from engaging in a lawful profession, trade, or business of any kind is to that extent void." Thus, no non-compete can be enforced under California law.