BartEsq, Researcher
Experience:  Juris Doctor

Can insurance companies choose to offer or deny you insurance

Customer Question

Can insurance companies choose to offer or deny you insurance based on whatever information they have about you or are they permitted only to use specific information? For example, could they refuse to renew your insurance based on information that you often frequent bars. I assume there must at least be laws against using race as a factor. Just wondering how broad these prohibitions are and which laws regulate them.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  BartEsq replied 4 years ago.

bart0358 :

Hello, I am researching your answer now.

bart0358 :

If you give me a specific example and a specific state with a specific insurance company and type of policy I can better answer your question.

bart0358 :

Under the circumstances there are many variables that regulate insurance and based on your question, I cannot really answer your question. Especially now with new health care reform being implemented mandating insurance coverage. It really just depends on your situation. Insurance coverage regulation is in a state of flux for the next couple years law mandated health insurance is implemented by the US government, states, and insurance companies.

bart0358 :

But for the most part, in the past, insurance companies can pretty much deny you for whatever they want to.

bart0358 :

I hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else. Please remember to accept if my answer was useful so I can get credit for my work.

Customer :

I am mostly thinking about auto insurance. I am thinking about a service which contacts the insurance companies when their policy holders are drunk at bars and are looking for a cheap cab ride as alternative to driving home drunk. The insurance company could choose to subsidize the ride to save themselves the risk of paying claims from an accident. I want to try to do this without identifying the person to the insurance company. But I am wondering what the insurance company could do if they did find out who it was. Could they act on this information and close this person's policy?