J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced and trained in the area of business law.
15393114

On February 28th, 2011 I moved my small business to a new

Customer Question

On February 28th, 2011 I moved my small business to a new location. I was rented the previous location and am renting the new location. Upon relocation I called PG&E to start
service at the new addressXXXXXsuite 7 and stop service at 1270 B N. Main St.
At the Main St. location I had 3 meters 1 gas and 2 electric the new location has 1 electric and no gas. At that time they shut off the gas and 1 electric meter and continued to bill me on my new bill to my new address 1 meter. The old location remained vacant for some time and the bill was only between $15-$25 a month and I didn't notice I was being billed until my bill starting going up drastically in Late 2011. I called PG&E in December of 2011 and informed them of the issue the CSR assured me it would be taken care of. My bill came in January of 2012 and it was still on there and active. I called again
January 9th 2012 spoke to a supervisor and he had me stay on the phone until he could research the situation and determine that I had called to stop service. He agreed and assured me I would get a credit. I got my bill in February 0f 2012 all charges had been reversed all the way back to March of 2011 totaling $1389.08. Then the credit department re billed for $1444.35 reversing the credits and adding more service up to January 9th. I called on February 10th they opened a new case for the credit department to review and I was promised a call back with a resolution on February 24th. Didn't get a call back so I called today asked for a supervisor she told me it hasn't been looked at and they have no obligation to look at it by any certain time and me calling is only going to make it take longer. That was my fourth call. I have specifically asked for my money back they won't give me answer. Do I have any legal recourse to force a resolution?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 4 years ago.

J.Hazelbaker :

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

J.Hazelbaker :

You have a legal claim for the overbilling.

J.Hazelbaker :

The first step I would take, however, is filing a complaint with the California Public Utilities Commission.

J.Hazelbaker :

Here is the link to do so;

J.Hazelbaker :

http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/PUC/CEC/e_complaint/a_utilitycomplaint.htm

J.Hazelbaker :

The Commission is has authority to force a resolution/credit in a situation such as this.

J.Hazelbaker :

It can also fine the company, if found warranted.

Customer:

How do I file a legal claim? Small claims court or Hire a lawyer?

J.Hazelbaker :

I assume the utility is in your business name. If so, is the business a legal entity, such as an LLC or Corp?

Customer:

LLC

Customer:

I'm the sole member

J.Hazelbaker :

Unfortunately, then, you will have to hire an attorney.

J.Hazelbaker :

Only an attorney can represent a legal entity such as an LLC, Corp. or Partnership.

J.Hazelbaker :

That's why I would go the PUC route first. It's no cost to you and it has teeth.

Customer:

Ok i'll give them one more week then file a claim. Thank you very much.

J.Hazelbaker :

You are welcome. Good luck.