Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.

Can I re-negotiate the equity percentages in a pre-partnership

Can I re-negotiate the equity percentages in a pre-partnership agreement?

Good morning. You can always agree to change the arrangement with your other partner(s), but they must agree to any changes. You can not unilaterally change ownership interests.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Even if we have not incorporated the business yet? And, if so, is simply dissolving the partnership, but retaining my intellectual property, a viable alternative?

An incorporation is simply another business form. You can dissolve your current partnership, but if the partnership owns the intellectual property, each partner is entitled to its interest of such property.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there a way to determine if the partnership owns the intellectual property based on the verbage that may appear in the agreement? FYI, the other party prepared the pre-partnership agreement that is the subject of this message and it only indicates an intent to start a business and what that kind of activities the business will engage in once formed.
If there is only basically a letter of intent and no formal transfer document conveying the intellectual property to the partnership has occurred, whoever owned the intellectual property before the letter of intent still owns it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Awesome. Thanks so much for your help. I think I'm going to take the agreement to a local lawyer so that I can have it reviewed and figure out what the best course of action is. Thanks again.