Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.

If I am a partner of a sub chapter s corporation in California

If I am a partner of a sub chapter s corporation in California and that company is sued for an amount that it cannot pay and must file insolvency, am I, a partner liable personally for any amount that it was sued for? We do carry D&O insurance for directors liability only.

Good afternoon. Unless the amount owed is related to tax liability...such as withholding, etc. or you signed a personal guarantee of a particulare debt.. you would have no personal liability. That's the benefit of operating within a limited liability entity such as an S Corporation...only the assets of the entity are at risk.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.