Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law

I have a talent agency and signed a contract with a software

I have a talent agency and signed a contract with a software company for 2 years - it has been only 13 months and I cannot afford it. It's $500.00/month but the business some months I don't even make $500.00. I was hoping I could keep the business going as a side income, think it is something I can build up over the years as I have repeat clients - is there anyway for me to keep my agency name and web domain but get out of the contract? They are charging me $200/month just for the web-site design - I just got a quote from a web design person and he would build the same site for $500.00 and then it's mine.
Otherwise, if I can't get out of the contract, can I start a new agency under a different name ?
Or am I better just trying to find a way to stick it out until next February and then go on my own?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 4 years ago.

bizlaw :

Unless you have a basis for terminating the contract you will be liable on the contract. If the company is incorporated then you could leave and terminate your client contracts and have them resign with the new agency and then build a new website as you indicate. If your current business is not incorporated then you have personal liablity and you should just stick it out if you cannot renegotiate a better deal with your current supplier.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. It would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.