Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.

One last question regarding the same as before. How long does

Customer Question

One last question regarding the same as before. How long does it take for the state to pursue criminal charges and if he does not have any prior history he will probably be just fined or something right? What would you do in my shoes?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question and thank you very kindly for requesting me further.

Massachusetts has a fairly extensive statutory basis of limitation--most felonies and misdemeanors have a 6 year statute although the earlier you pursue the more likely the state will be willing to go after the individual. I cannot simply tell you what to do as I am not your attorney, the choice to pursue (or not) is absolutely yours, although I do not see a downside to you if you choose to discuss this with the D.A. and see if they are willing to pursue it. In terms of penalty, you are jumping way ahead here, since I do not know what if anything the state would be willing to prosecute for, and whether or not a conviction will take place--while a fine is possible it depends on the offense (to put it in perspective, a first time offender who commits murder and is convicted of it will not simply get a fine from the state). There are a lot of factors, such as the amount taken, for how long, what position the other party maintained in the business, and so forth. Therefore I cannot give you a legitimate answer without knowing more.

Good luck.