J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced and trained in the area of business law.
15393114

My boyfriend owns a building. We know that the property is

Customer Question

My boyfriend owns a building. We know that the property is under an LLC but don't know the LLC name or number. How can we find the LLC name and number without contacting the lawyer? Is there some state agency that has this information?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 5 years ago.

J.Hazelbaker :

Yes.

J.Hazelbaker :

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

J.Hazelbaker :

The California Secretary of State maintains the records of all business entities in California, including LLCs.

J.Hazelbaker :

Here is the website link to search:

J.Hazelbaker :

http://kepler.sos.ca.gov/

J.Hazelbaker :

You can search by agent or member personal name.

J.Hazelbaker :

In addition, if you know the address of the property, you can look it up at the county recorder's office. They probably have an online search portal as well. Simply knowing the address will allow you to find out who/what owns the property located at the address.

J.Hazelbaker :

Please let me know what follow-up questions you have. If my above responses have been helpful, please click Accept so that I get credit for the time/effort. You may always restart the thread and ask follow-up questions at any time by clicking the “Reply” button at the bottom of the question/answer thread. You can access this thread later in your profile under the “My Questions” tab.

JACUSTOMER-sgct2tsv- :

I already tried the website you gave me and they need an entity name of the llc or the number. Which is what I am looking for. I already know the name of the owner of the property. I need the llc information. He doesn't know the llc name for his property. So if the county recorder will only tell me the name of the owner, I already know that. Any other leads?

J.Hazelbaker :

If the business is operated out of the building, there's a good chance that the building was put in the LLC's name. That's why I suggested looking up the address to see who the owner is. Your boyfriend owns it, but may own it through the LLC.

J.Hazelbaker :

Also, I would call the secretary of state's office and give them the boyfriend's name and say he is the statutory agent for a registered LLC, but you need to find out the specific legal name of that LLC. They can look it up

J.Hazelbaker :

Finally, depending on the type of business, he might be required to have a zoning permit to operate out of the business. The municipal code enforcement office should be able to tell you what permits were issued to what address and to whom, which would be the LLC.

J.Hazelbaker :

One revision: if you know any of the words in the name of the LLC, you can do an SOS search with the partial name. The list results will include agent name and address to help narrow it down to the right LLC.

J.Hazelbaker :

That's all I got.