Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.

We have a Sole Proprietor carpentry business in Chicago. We

We have a Sole Proprietor carpentry business in Chicago. We would like to reset it up as a LLC so that we can not personally be sued if something were to happen. When searching Google we came across a web application on the state of Illinois website. Is this simple application all we need to do to set our business up as an LLC? Is there anything else we need to know?

Good evening. All that needs to be done to set up an LLC is: i) File a Certificate of Formation with the Illinois Secretary of can do that online at the Secretary of State website; ii) Obtain an EIN from the IRS for the can do this online at the IRS website and get this number instantly; iii) do a Operating Agreement setting forth the agreement of the owners; and iv) open a bank account. You're ready to roll!

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much! One more question..... Does it benifit us more to just have my husband as owner or should both of us be owners. Not sure if he died or we were sued which would be better?
Either way you are both going to own 1/2 of this...because anything acquired during your marriage is considered marital property. So, it really doesn't matter. You're welcome.