Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

I have decided to transfer ownership of my Kansas non-profit

I have decided to transfer ownership of my Kansas non-profit corporation, rather than to dissolve. I'd like to transfer it to a Colorado owner in June 2012. How can I go about doing this? Would it be easier to simply dissolve and give the funds to a 'like' Colorado non-profit? Also, I would also like to sign on for another month of questions/answers. Can I do that for the flat $28?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
If you want to transfer it to a Colorado owner and a Colorado non-profit, then you have to dissolve the KS non-profit, they have to form the Colorado non-profit for the same purpose of your KS non-profit and then you can transfer the assets to the Colorado non-profit. This is required because when dissolving a non-profit any assets can only go to the charitable non-profit purpose and until the Colorado corporation is formed they would not be qualified to take the proceeds from your KS non-profit. The alternative is if the new owner wants to keep the KS non-profit, then you can enter into a contract of sale with them and file an amended articles of incorporation with the secretary of state showing the change in ownership and a copy to the IRS and you would be able to sell the KS non-profit and they would take over operation as the new owners. Those are your two options.

You can sign up for another subscription by contacting customer service at the "Help" link at the bottom right of the home page.