floridagirl11
floridagirl11, Attorney
Experience:  Business Law Attorney
7887522

a tow company came to repossess my car. However, the car wasnt

a tow company came to repossess my car. However, the car wasn't on site. they didn't take the vehicle. What can I do to avoid losing my car/
Category: Business Law
Expert:  floridagirl11 replied 2 years ago.

LADYLAWYER :

Hello, Thanks for choosing Justanswer.com! I look forward to helping you with legal information today.

LADYLAWYER :

If your car is inside a closed garage or they cannot find it, they are unable to repossess it absent a court order that forces you to hand it over.

LADYLAWYER :

So wile I cannot tell you that you should be hiding your car from them, doing either of these things would delay the repossession.

Customer:

I'm not hiding the vehicle. It's actually not at my house but in another town I visited a few weeks ago and I had to put it in the shop there because it wouldn't reverse. The cost to have it repaired is a little over $1200. So, I obviously didn't have the money to pay for it then so it's there until I get my tax money.

LADYLAWYER :

That is fine. You just asked how you could avoid losing your vehicle--I am assuming before you get your money--so I wanted to tell you the ways a repossession are often delayed.

LADYLAWYER :

It is not illegal to have it out of town, at a different location, or in a garage.

Customer:

will the finance company make me pay the full balance for the vehicle? I will call tomorrow and hopefully we can work something out.

LADYLAWYER :

That will depend on the contract you signed. Sometimes they are able to call in the full value of the loan if you are in default, even if they have not repossessed the vehicle.

LADYLAWYER :

Other times, the contract does not permit that unless the repossession is completed.

LADYLAWYER :

So you will need to check the contract and te "default" provisions in it.

Customer:

I've known a few people that were in the same situation I'm in and somehow things were worked out with the finance company. Hopefully things will work out for me.

LADYLAWYER :

More often than not, they will work something out with you.

LADYLAWYER :

They know that if they do not, they are going to lose money.

Customer:

Well thanks for your time. Wish me luck.

LADYLAWYER :

good luck for sure! And if you need to come back and ask any questions about this, just come back to this post and I will answer them for free.

LADYLAWYER :

If you have any more questions, I am happy to answer them! If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated and it costs you nothing further to press accept. It would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus but it is certainly not required. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site. Thank you!

floridagirl11, Attorney
Experience: Business Law Attorney