Raisa Romaelle, Esq.
Raisa Romaelle, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Florida licensed attorney and former business owner, providing you with answers and insight in plain english.
63198330

hi I signed the contract lease with landlord in the contract

hi I signed the contract lease with landlord in the contract it says that he's giving me that car lot as is in the car lot there is at old house that need to be demolished and I suppose to put it official trailer in the lot for as my office used and I do all the paperwork in the county for approval I just signed a lease about 2 weeks ago and get a 6000 dollar deposit after I did some research is to get application approved to put office trailer in the lot I found out that there is a lot a problem with this lot as days the old house the time what supposed to demolition with my phone money I just found out that I need to spend over 50,000 dollar or maybe more to get county approved for me to operate in the car lot as I find out that there are other papers before me try to get this done but they couldn't because it cost so many so much money as I mentioned earlier in the contract it says thats I getting get a lot as is and supposed to do all the inquirey an approval that into contract in mention thY in this lot it is a lots of work to do in the lotfor example it wasn't drainage problem basically the slot in very old and need to be rredevelop so can I cansell my lease and not to go ahead with it as it is costing me a lot of money just want to know if I am able to fight this case and make 11 north to pay me my deposit back or keep the deposit and not to sue me for not continuing with the lease I am in california but oregionally I am from australia and I am non resident here but I do have a social security here but I do care for my credit I don't want to do do bankruptcy the lease is on my personal name can you please tell me what is my option here .thank you so much for your time
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes i am still waning
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  Raisa Romaelle, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, most commercial leases place the burden of fixing the premises mostly or entirely on the tenant. You may be obligated to fix all problems with the premises if the landlord does not provide a warranty. Should you decide to breach the lease agreement, the landlord will have a duty to mitigate damages, which means he has to diligently try to find another tenant.

You would only be liable for the amount of time you were tenant and/or the space was not rented to someone else plus consequential damages (cost of finding someone else). If you are looking at having to spend $50,000 or more to stay there, then breaching the contract might be a better option.

You can also try to negotiate something with the landlord if he is willing to work with you on finding another tenant.

Please remember to click Accept when you receive your answer. If the answer was particularly helpful, a BONUS is always appreciated, too!

My answer is not a legal advice but general information. No attorney client relationship has been formed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just want to let you know this place had violation be for flading plus he new this but did not mention in contact or lease that it has all this problem ? do you think i may have a chence hear to fight this or not and this lot need to be redevelop so noting to do with insurance ?can he make this report to collection agency and how long will it take to make my credit look bed.
thanks
Yes, but when you accept an agreement AS IS, you are responsible for the inspection. I do think you have a fighting chance if you try to talk to the landlord and explain to him you will have to breach the contract because of your particular circumstances. If you signed personally under your name, you can look into bankruptcy or coming to some kind of agreement. If you entered into the agreement under your corporation, you may end up with a deficiency judgment.

Please remember to click ACCEPT when you receive your answer. If the answer was particularly helpful, a BONUS is always appreciated, too! Remember, if you do not click ACCEPT, I will NOT be compensated.
Raisa Romaelle, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Florida licensed attorney and former business owner, providing you with answers and insight in plain english.
If you do not click ACCEPT, I will NOT be compensated for the time spent on your answer.