smithlaw1177
smithlaw1177, Attorney
Experience:  My practice handles all sorts of business law issues such as setting up corporations, LLCs, PC, as well as dissolving corps.
65026092

Were (husband/wife) applying for a business license in Washingto

We're (husband/wife) applying for a business license in Washington state. The form gives us the option of being a Partnership, Limited Partnership, Limited Liability Partnership, Limited Liability Company, or a Washington Corporation. We are wondering which one we should be.

We know we need to be more than a Partnership but not a Corporation. We will have no employees, only Contractors and Sub-Contractors. Therefore, we are thinking we should be a Limited Partnership, Limited Liability Partnership, or a Limited Liability Company. We need to know which. We plan to fix up houses, office building, and/or apartments. Which one is best and why. Thank you.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  smithlaw1177 replied 2 years ago.

smithlaw1177 :

I can definently help you ith this question.

smithlaw1177 :

You really need to consider registering with the Secretary of State as a domestic corporation. All you need to do is file articles of incorporation and draw up some bylaws. After you register through the Sec. of State Office you will be considered a subchapter c corporation however you want to be considered a sub chapter s corporation. To do this you will need to elect to be a subchapter s corporation with the IRS. I know this sounds like a lot but it is very important for two main reasons.

smithlaw1177 :

First an S-Corporation enjoys great tax benefits called pass through taxation meaning the shareholders have to pay tax and not separate corporate tax. In other words you wont be taxed twice. Also Corporations get a break on their social security tax while LLC do not.

smithlaw1177 :

Second and S-Corp enjoys limited liability as do LLCs however partnerships do not. Limited Liability means tht you will not be held personally responsible for any liability so long as you were acting as the corporation.

smithlaw1177 :

I hope this answers your question. I strongly urge you to register as a corporation. My law practice in an s-corp and I only have 2 employees. Please accept the answer if you were satisfied.

smithlaw1177 :

If at anytime you feel that I have adequately provided you with an answer to your question, then if you would please click the accept button so that I may be compensated for my work that would be very much appreciated. Also, bonuses are optional, and are certainly not required, but very much appreciated. Remember, clicking the accept button does not prevent you from asking further questions on this post, and will not preclude me from continuing to answer your questions and provide you with research. There is no Attorney-Client relationship created by our communications and the advice and information that I provide is merely for informational purposes. The advice that I provide is not to be taken over the advice of a competent attorney within your jurisdiction.

smithlaw1177 :

I did not receive your last question did you have another question, or have I adequately answered your question?

smithlaw1177, Attorney
Experience: My practice handles all sorts of business law issues such as setting up corporations, LLCs, PC, as well as dissolving corps.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.