Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Hello, I purchased a used car from a dealership here in Minnesota

Hello, I purchased a used car from a dealership here in Minnesota last night. I took it for a test drive and looked under the hood. It seemed fine for the year 2002 and the interior and exterior were in good shape. Driving the car it seemed run well and everything worked as expected. I went out dinner after driving the car about 30 miles and when I pulled out to leave noticed a large puddle of gas, it leaks gas. There was no disclosure and the car was bought with a "as is" stipulation. Is it legal to sell an automobile with a gas leak, seems very unsafe. The dealership is standing on the "as is' paperwork, even after 12 hours.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Under MN statute 325F.662, all used cars in MN must come with an express warranty, and it states:

Every used motor vehicle sold by a dealer is covered by an express warranty which the dealer shall provide to the consumer. At a minimum, the express warranty applies for the following terms:

(1) if the used motor vehicle has less than 36,000 miles, the warranty must remain in effect for at least 60 days or 2,500 miles, whichever comes first;

(2) if the used motor vehicle has 36,000 miles or more, but less than 75,000 miles, the warranty must remain in effect for at least 30 days or 1,000 miles, whichever comes first.

(b) The express warranty must require the dealer, in the event of a malfunction, defect, or failure in a covered part, to repair or replace the covered part, or at the dealer's election, to accept return of the used motor vehicle from the consumer and provide a refund to the consumer.

(c) For used motor vehicles with less than 36,000 miles, the dealer's express warranty shall cover, at minimum, the following parts:

(1) with respect to the engine, all lubricated parts, intake manifolds, engine block, cylinder head, rotary engine housings, and ring gear;

(2) with respect to the transmission, the automatic transmission case, internal parts, and the torque converter; or, the manual transmission case, and the internal parts;

(3) with respect to the drive axle, the axle housings and internal parts, axle shafts, drive shafts and output shafts, and universal joints; but excluding the secondary drive axle on vehicles, other than passenger vans, mounted on a truck chassis;

(4) with respect to the brakes, the master cylinder, vacuum assist booster, wheel cylinders, hydraulic lines and fittings, and disc brakes calipers;

(5) with respect to the steering, the steering gear housing and all internal parts, power steering pump, valve body, piston, and rack;

(6) the water pump;

(7) the externally-mounted mechanical fuel pump;

(8) the radiator;

(9) the alternator, generator, and starter.

(d) For used motor vehicles with 36,000 miles or more, but less than 75,000 miles, the dealer's express warranty shall cover, at minimum, the following parts:

(2) with respect to the transmission, the automatic transmission case, internal parts, and the torque converter; or, the manual transmission case, and internal parts;

(4) with respect to the brakes, the master cylinder, vacuum assist booster, wheel cylinders, hydraulic lines and fittings, and disc brake calipers;

(5) with respect to the steering, the steering gear housing and all internal parts, power steering pump, valve body, and piston;

(6) the water pump;

(7) the externally-mounted mechanical fuel pump.

(e)(1) A dealer's obligations under the express warranty remain in effect notwithstanding the fact that the warranty period has expired, if the consumer promptly notified the dealer of the malfunction, defect, or failure in the covered part within the specified warranty period and, within a reasonable time after notification, brings the vehicle or arranges with the dealer to have the vehicle brought to the dealer for inspection and repair.

(2) If a dealer does not have a repair facility, the dealer shall designate where the vehicle must be taken for inspection and repair.

(3) In the event the malfunction, defect, or failure in the covered part occurs at a location which makes it impossible or unreasonable to return the vehicle to the selling dealer, the consumer may have the repairs completed elsewhere with the consent of the selling dealer, which consent may not be unreasonably withheld.

(4) Notwithstanding the provisions of this paragraph, a consumer may have non warranty maintenance and non warranty repairs performed other than by the selling dealer and without the selling dealer's consent.

(f) Nothing in this section diminishes the obligations of a manufacturer under an express warranty issued by the manufacturer. The express warranties created by this section do not require a dealer to repair or replace a covered part if the repair or replacement is covered by a manufacturer's new car warranty, or the manufacturer otherwise agrees to repair or replace the part.

(g) The express warranties created by this section do not cover defects or repair problems which result from collision, abuse, negligence, or lack of adequate maintenance following sale to the consumer.

(h) The terms of the express warranty, including the duration of the warranty and the parts covered, must be fully, accurately, and conspicuously disclosed by the dealer on the front of the Buyers Guide.

While an as is sale does require the buyer to be liable, the MN law provides the dealer must have warranty coverage for the first 30 days. You can file a complaint with the MN attorney general's consumer protection unit to get the dealer to make the repairs.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.