Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

My subcontractor suddenly stopped work on a "fix bid" project

My subcontractor suddenly stopped work on a "fix bid" project and requested more money and to be paid per hour. This is a critical project and he did knowingly, as he was in the middle of working with the customer.

Is he breached his contract by doing this?
Should I request him to return project advance?
Can I sue him for damages and project expenses?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
If your sub contractor agreed to terms on this contract and agreed to the price, then them demanding more money now and stopping work is a breach of his contract with you. You need to first give him written notice to return to work and complete the project as his stoppage is a breach of the contract. Inform him if he is not back to work or you will sue for breach of contact and all damages including any losses and costs incurred to hire someone else to complete the work. Since you have written him, your next step is to inform him he is in breach and you are hiring someone to complete the work, then you will need an attorney to sue him for all of your damages and losses associated with his breach of contract.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It was too short term of a notice - I had to step in immediately and start work with the customer literally 24x7. Can I add my hourly rate to the damages?
Yes, you can add whatever costs you incurred because of his failure to perform on the contract to your damages in your breach of contract suit against him.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I was expecting future business from this client and now it is gone. How can I quantify this into damages? Original project was at 50k.
Future business is too speculative for a court to generally consider as damages directly flowing from breach of contract. However, if you can prove with statements from the customer that you were GOING TO BE HIRED for other projects that they can specify and put a dollar amount to, then this could be argued to be damages. You are going to have to have your local attorney evaluate the extent of the damages you can claim.