Raisa Romaelle, Esq.
Raisa Romaelle, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Florida licensed attorney and former business owner, providing you with answers and insight in plain english.
63198330

I received email from ex-employee of my companys subcontractor,

Customer Question

I received email from ex-employee of my company's subcontractor, located in Eastern Europe.

He was not paid by subcontractor and now he approached company directly with the letter of subtle threats.

Considering that he is a strong hacker, and can cause severe damage to the company what is the proper way to notify authorities?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 2 years ago.
You may want to put your subcontractor on notice that you have received these threats and that you believe subcontractor Kay have breached its agreement with the individual claiming he was not paid.

Then put your subcontractor on notice that you will hold subcontractor liable for any damage to you caused by hacker. Tell subcontractor to pay hacker or they will he responsible for any damages you suffer and will lose the right to do further work for you.

That should get. Subcontractors to settle up with hacker.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Your proposed answer is not addressing core of the questions .

Subcontractor is no longer employs this person. Subcontractor has it's valid reasons for not paying him, etc. Subcontractor is also located in Eastern Europe.

How threatening the subcontractor would help me? - while I still do not have any legal ground for doing so.

My question is how to properly bring this issue to US authorities and to which authorities.

Expert:  Raisa Romaelle, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Your best bet is to send the ex employee of your subcontractor a letter certified mail that you are not responsible for the amounts owed. You should also state in the letter that you have notified the authorities of the threats, and that you will file an action if he chooses to cause your company any economic harm. Your next step is to contact your local police department and file a report. You should also consider hiring a tech expert to ensure you are secure from any possible hacking. Please remember to click Accept when you receive your answer. If the answer was particularly helpful, a BONUS is always appreciated, too!
Disclaimer: My answer is not a legal advice but general information. No attorney client relationship has been formed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry, but my question is how to properly escalate this matter to US authorities, not how to deal with subcontractor.

Advise to contact local police does not make sense - they do not deal with international issues.