MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
17924466

I have fine from state of oregon dept of consumer & business

Customer Question

I have fine from state of oregon dept of consumer & business for not having worker's comp insurance which was sold last year. Fine amount is $80,000.00
Can i fight against state for this excessive fine?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MShore Law replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. On what basis would you fight? do you have a viable defense as to why the insurance was not obtained?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Im not trying to run with the case, but i believe amount they are asking to pay seems too high. I had 1 retail wireless stores and had 2 employees and sold it on june 30 last year. They called early last year and i paid $1,000 fine and i was told i had to get a insurance. I was looking for insurance company and at the mean time had discussion and came to agreement for selling business that got delayed few months for closing. Its my fault i didnt get a insurance but $250 per day seems too high. Also state never had any claim from any of my previous employee. What are the options i have in this situation?
Thank you, unfortunately though your options are to negotiate a settlement via lump sum payment or installment, or submit to the sum claimed as owed. The reality is that they can impose the fine of $250 per day because you are considered a two-time noncompliant employer. For your reference, see http://www.filinginoregon.com/pages/forms/business/guides/2011EmployerGuide.pdf (page 17).

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.