MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements

I live in Georgia. I signed a job invoice today to have some upholstery work done. This

I live in Georgia.
I signed a job invoice today to have some upholstery work done. This happened at the upholstery show. No specific date was for this work was scheduled, as I needed to shop for material. The salesman who is the owner only signed with his first name "Carlos" where the form says "order taken by". I foolishly did not realize I was signing a contract. Can I cancel this order? What is your best advise?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MShore Law replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Unfortunately there is not an automatic ability to cancel without penalty, you should however be able to negotiate a resolution with the merchant as the merchant has not yet incurred substantial expense in preparing to perform per the contract, as such the damages for your cancellation are minimal.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The amount agreed to for this work is $570.00, what would be a reasonable offer to the merchant for cancelling this agreement? At most I was at his shop for 15 minutes.
A reasonable sum would be 10% of the contract price.