Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Corps, LLCs, Partnership, etc.
19305272

Im looking for a case law for ohio divorce court,what happens

Customer Question

I'm looking for a case law for ohio divorce court,what happens when corporation stock certificates are missing or cannot be found?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Thomas McJD replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I will be happy to assist you. After receiving your answer, and unless you have need for clarification, your accept (by clicking the green "accept" button) would be appreciated. Although you have made a deposit, I cannot receive credit for my work without your accept.

There likely is no case law on this point because missing certificates don't raise legal issues for resolution by a court.

Rather, it's simply a case where you would need to contact the corporation to certificates in place of the lost certificates.

I believe I have answered your question. As noted above, please let me know if you need clarification, and if not your accept would be appreciated. If you are a monthly subscriber, you must still click the "accept" button for me to receive credit for my work, but you will not be charged an additional fee.

If you later open a new question and would like my assistance, please begin the question with "To TMcJD...." This will ensure that only I answer the question.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for using JustAnswer. Your "accept" (by clicking the green "Accept" button) would be greatly appreciated. Although you have made a deposit, I cannot receive credit for my work without your accept.

You understand that your use of or communication on this forum, in any and all ways, is intended for general informational purposes only and shall not constitute and/or be relied upon as legal advice or be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. Further, you agree not to rely on anything I say as legal authority and where appropriate for your own protection will obtain appropriate legal and or tax advice with an attorney or other professional licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal or other issue arises.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The corporation disolved in 2008

In that case, the stock certificates (even if you found them) are unfortunately worthless.

A proper dissolution involves paying all debts first. If there is any money left over (which is not generally the case), distributions are made to the shareholders according to ownership percentages.

Thus, if the dissolution is now complete, and there had been any value left in the corporation after payment of debts, liabilities, etc., you would have received a distribution of cash upon liquidation of any remaining assets.