Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.

If a Trust acts outside of its trust agreement and damages

If a Trust acts outside of its trust agreement and damages a person, what cause(s) of action can be asserted against the Trust. The trust agreement is public record, so the provisions are undisputable.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Good afternoon. A trustee has a fiduciary duty to the grantor of the trust and its beneficiaries to uphold the provisions of the trust. If they do not, they have breached their fiduciary duty and are subject to be removed and for damages.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can someone not a party to the trust sue the trustee for his breach? It was that breach that caused the damages in question.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
No...if that party was damaged by the trustee's actions, that party could sue the trustee, but not the trust.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Right. Sue the trustee. Could the cause of action still be 'breach of fiduciary duty' even though the claimant is not a party to the trust?

The damage was directly caused as a result of their breach.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
No, in that case it would not be breach of fiduciary duty because the trustee has no fiduciary duty to someone outside the trust. I don't know any of the facts, but it would either be a personal injury or property damage claim, I would presume. Or, some other tort such as negligence, tortious interference, or something else.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tortious interference sounds pretty good