Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

How can a foreign national open a bank account in the US? I

How can a foreign national open a bank account in the US? I am expecting some commission from a transaction, and would like to set up an account.

My wife is currently visiting the US. I am sure she can go to any branch of a bank and open an account by depositing the minimum.

A general banker asked me for two things, which basically rule out any foreigner from opening an account for at least 3 months, even when he/she migrates. She asked for social security number and a driving licence that must be 90 days old.

bizlaw :

You do not have to be US citizen or resident to open a bank account but you must provide satisfactory identification. Among the types of acceptable forms of identification are a Tax Payer Identification Number, passport or passport number and country of issuance, alien identification number or any other form of government identification from the country of issuance evidencing nationality or residence and it should be with a photo. These are the national requirements. The Tax Payer Identification Number you can obtain from the IRS. If you go to the IRS.gov website and do a search for the Taxpayer identification number application you will get a link to the application form. This does take a little while to obtain. You will not be able to get a social security number unless you are authorized to work in the US. I suggest you look at a major national bank which is probably more familiar with dealing with foreign nationals rather than a local bank.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. It would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Customer:

So my wife can walk into, for example Bank of America, with her passport, and open the account?

bizlaw :

She will need a TIN number to go with it. What I suggest is that you contact the Bank of America you plan to go to go over what they require. I expect you will need to get the Taxpayer Identification Number. But you should be able to open the account without a problem.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.