Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Corps, LLCs, Partnership, etc.
19305272

I would like to open an LLC immediately for a home improvement

I would like to open an LLC immediately for a home improvement business in NJ. For the time being it will be in my name only as my husband is in the process of obtaining a conditional green card. My question is, am I able to add him to the LLC at a later date? Also, everything we own is in my name as I am the legal citizen therefore is it better for me not to be attached to this LLC so we do not put all of our assets in jeopardy? Thank you!
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Thomas McJD replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I will be happy to assist you. After receiving your answer, and unless you have need for clarification, your accept (by clicking the green "accept" button) would be appreciated. Although you have made a deposit, I cannot receive credit for my work without your accept.

Yes, you could add him as a member of the LLC at a later date. That happens all the time.

You will not put your personal assets in jeopardy by operating an LLC. That is the point of an LLC -- it is liable for its own debts, etc., and the creditors of the LLC cannot reach your personal assets. The only thing that would put your personal assets at risk is if you personally guarantee a loan to the LLC -- but that would happen regardless of whether you choose to operate your business as a member of the LLC or simply in your name individually without the LLC.

I believe I have answered your question. As noted above, please let me know if you need clarification, and if not your accept would be appreciated. If you are a monthly subscriber, you must still click the "accept" button for me to receive credit for my work, but you will not be charged an additional fee.

If you later open a new question and would like my assistance, please begin the question with "To TMcJD...." This will ensure that only I answer the question.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for using JustAnswer. Your "accept" (by clicking the green "Accept" button) would be greatly appreciated. Although you have made a deposit, I cannot receive credit for my work without your accept.

You understand that your use of or communication on this forum, in any and all ways, is intended for general informational purposes only and shall not constitute and/or be relied upon as legal advice or be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. Further, you agree not to rely on anything I say as legal authority and where appropriate for your own protection will obtain appropriate legal and or tax advice with an attorney or other professional licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal or other issue arises.

Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience: Experienced in Corps, LLCs, Partnership, etc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response. In your opinion is an LLC the safest way to begin a new business such as this? Why would you opt for an LLC over forming a corporation etc. Thanks again!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
No response after several hours.

Yes, it is generally thought an LLC provides the best asset protection. Plus, there are not all the corporate formalities to follow as you would be required to comply with if you were a corporation.

Plus, generally speaking, an LLC has better tax treatment for a small, single-owner business.

That's why I would opt for an LLC.

I never saw that you had asked a follow-up question. Sorry for the delayed response.

Thomas McJD, Attorney
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am utilizing LegalZoom.com who will create our LLC documents and file them with the State. Are there any other forms I will need to complete or file to legally operate through this LLC? How and when will I need to file taxes? Thank you!

How you file taxes depends on how the LLC is taxed. A single member LLC, by default, is taxed as a sole proprietorship business -- you would report income and losses on your personal income tax return (Form 1040). I would highly suggest you use an accountant to assist you.

You will file taxes every year by April 15 -- just as you do as an individual.

If LegalZoom does not provide you with an operating agreement, I would suggest you also create an operating agreement for the LLC. LegalZoom may have that document (I'm just not certain whether it's included with your formation package).

If you will be completing home improvement construction projects, your state may need to be licensed. See this publication for more information:

https://www.state.nj.us/commerce/CEG_LCI/pdf/liccert.pdf

Thomas McJD, Attorney