Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Hi, We represent a business which is completely gone under.

We represent a business which is completely gone under. We don’t have any revenue as we have stopped producing services. We have no employees. We owe payroll taxes to the government and the management team is currently working with IRS to settle the same. Also we owe state taxes and we are working to getting a settlement on the same. Meanwhile we owe payroll to old employees to whom we were not able to pay for the last few months. Some of them have reached out to labor dept complaining about the situation. We are in a tough situation as we are handling so many issues. We want to get appropriate advise on how to handle the employee backwages as some of them have hired attorneys to recover the funds. Since we are not in a position to pay these employees can you please advise us the right solution.
Thank you
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately, you are going to have to properly wind up business and this means in a case like you just described that you would have to file for bankruptcy. In a bankruptcy, employee payroll is put in with the secured creditors, but if there is no money, then the pay is extinguished. Bankruptcy will not help with any tax issues as those can pass on to the owners personally after bankruptcy if no deal is reached or they are not extinguished.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We are more focused on understanding our options for getting rid of paying the backwages. Will filing of bankruptcy protect us from labor dept?

Is this the only option?

Thank you
Yes, bankruptcy will protect you from personal liability for labor debt and yes that is your only option because absent bankruptcy wages are going to be paid and they can sue you and seize business assets for wages.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Right now we dont have zero business assets. Only thing we have is debt.

Can the employees sue the owners?

If bankruptcy is filed what will labor dept in regards XXXXX XXXXX complaints they get from employees?

Are there any industry experts who can negotiate with these employees to settle the amount for a lower amount as we are under tremendous pressure talking to these employees and asking them to hold on a daily basis. In an ideal world we would have wanted to pay these guys but we have no means of revenue now.
You need to properly wind up the business and if it cannot pay debts as they are due, then bankruptcy is required. Only your attorneys could try to negotiate payment, but you are going to have no choice but bankruptcy if you have no assets.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Paul,

One last question. How will labor dept treat bankruptcy? Do they go after business owners?

Thank you
Not for wages unless they prove the employees were not paid because of fraud.