Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Attorney
Experience:  25 years practicing law
3396227

If a attorney who is contracted by the county for defense of

If a attorney who is contracted by the county for defense of Civil Commitment is required
to have Malpractice Insurance before the contract is executed, and the attorney is
working under this contract and they find out she has no Malpractice Insurance as the
contract requires, what could be the reprecussions? We have this situation and now how
would we pursue a legal malpractice lawsuit for the negligence and injury she has caused?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 2 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Did you actually hire this attorney?

Who was the client?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

MY NIECE WAS CIVILLY COMMITTED FRAUDELENT WITHOUT CAUSE BY THE PROSECUTOR REVENGE AND THIS ATTORNEY I AM REFERRING TO WAS PUT

IN PLACE TO MISREPRESENT MY NIECE IN ORDER TO DO THIS COLLUSION

AND CONSPIRACY WHICH WE CAN PROVE! THIS ATTORNEY IS CONTRACTED

BY THE COUNTY AND THE COUNTY CONTRACT REQUIRES THEY HAVE

MALPRACTICE INSURANCE BEFORE THEY WILL GIVE THEM THE CONTRACT?

WHY IS THAT? WE FOUND TODAY THAT SHE IS DOES NOT HAVE THE

MALPRACTICE INSURANCE REQUIRED! I THINK THI WOULD BE CALLED BREACH OF CONTRACT?

DearCustomer- Attorneys are not required to carry malpractice insurance but even if this attorney had malpractice insurance you would have no standing to sue for that cause of action since only the person who hires the attorney would have that right. This is more a case of attorney misconduct rather than malpractice and if you want to file a written ethics complaint you may do so with the Bar Association. Malpractice is when an attorney fails to meet a filing date or some other negligence that costs the client money and not when it involves collusion or some other ethical violation.

I have included the website for the Bar Association below and you can file your complaint with them.

http://www.mnbar.org/nav3-complaint.asp

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

WHAT IF SHE DOES NOT REPRESENT YOY PROPERLY THERE SUPPOSE TO

CARE ABOUT YOUR RIGHTS NEVER RECEIVED DUE PROCESS AND WHEN DOCTORS IN THE HOSPITAL TOLD HER THERE WAS NO MEDICAL REASON FOR BEING IN THE HOSPITAL? THIS ATTORNEY NEVER TOOK THIS INFORMATION TO THE JUDGE FOR A RELEASE HEARING AGTER 6 WEEKS MY

NIECE DID BECOME SICK AS THE DOCTORS TOLD HER SHE WOULD GET ILL FROM THE CONFINEMENT. THEY WROTE DAILY ON HER CHART "THIS HOSPITALIZATION IS BORDERING ON INTENTIONAL INFLICTION OF EMOTIONAL

DISTRESS.THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO MEDICAL REASON FOR THIS CONFINEMENT." THIS WAS MORE THEN MISCONDUCT THIS WAS LEGAL

MALPRACTICE BY NOT GETTING HER CLIENT OUT OF THE HOSPITAL. MY

QUESTION WAS THAT THIS ATTORNEY'S CONTRACT REQUIRED MALPRACTICE

INSURANCE IN ORDER FOR THE CONTRACT TO BE LEGAL? SHE HAS NO

MALPRACTICE INSURANCE SO WHAT IS POSITION OF THIS CONTRACT WITH THE COUNTY? I ALREADY HAD DISCUSSED THE LAWSUIT WITH OTHER ATTORNEYS!

I have tried to explain the difference between malpractice and unethical conduct. I really don't know what else to tell you but this is not malpractice, it is or may be unethical conduct. Your proper course of action would be, as I described above, to file a complaint with the Bar Association. You simply have no cause of action for malpractice.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: DID NOT UNDERSTAND MY QUESTION
I understand the question but I'm afraid you do not understand my answer. You have a way to redress your grievances but it simply isn't "malpractice". It is unethical conduct that you are alleging. I just don't know how to explain it any other way. You can file a complaint against the attorney through the Bar Association and I have provided you with the website.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

FORGET ABOUT MY SITUATION PLEASE

OK LETS GO BACK TO MY QUESTION MY COUNTY REQUIRES THEIR CONTRACTED ATTORNEYS TO CARRY MALPRACTICE INSURANCE IN ORDER FOR THEM TO BE CONTRACTED BY THE COUNTY! THIS IS PART OF THE CONTRACT! SO IF A CONTRACTED ATTORNEY IS NOT CARRYING THE MALPRACTICE INSURANCE REQUIRED AS THE CONTRACT STATES!

WHAT THIS CONTRACT BE NULL AND VOID?

If the county required the attorney to carry malpractice insurance and this attorney does not have it then this is a breach of contract with the county. The county could terminate the contract but you would have no power to do so since the contract is not with you. I doesn't void the contract but it is a breach of the contract.
Dave Kennett, Attorney
Experience: 25 years practicing law