Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.

I have a registered LLC in the state of Ohio...the business

I have a registered LLC in the state of Ohio...the business name is XXXXX XXXXX and I am wondering if I should trademark it as another very similar named company(swapped the 2 words of my co. name) has popped up locally. I am considering expanding and don't want anymore competition if at all possible. Will a trademark allow me to send a cease and ? letter to this competition or will the trademark only "cover" word for word the company name. Need some more protection on my business that I have had for over 8 years now and thought the state registry would be!
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 years ago.
A trademark covers a name that could be confused with your name, but usually it has to be word for word or very close. You would need to trademark it but I'd suggest you hire a trademark lawyer rather than doing it yourself. The main reason is that trademarks aren't "blanket", you have to register in specific categories and choosing those categories is very important but can also be expensive. For pricing you could contact and see what it costs.

Once you get it trademarked you can send a cease and desist letter.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.