Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law

I am a cofounder of a business that was formed as a llc in

Customer Question

I am a cofounder of a business that was formed as a llc in 2008. We did a reg d, 506 offering in 2008-2009 and raised $550k of the $2m we were seeking to raise. We now want to raise the rest ~1.5m.

My partner who is the CEO and president wants to pay me, the secretary and tax matters member to bring in new investors (5% earned in cash/salary comm) on every dollar I can raise. He also wants to offer the same thing to all of our current investors (24 others) to get the same opportunity.

My question is this: is it legal for me to receive a cash amount (%) for every dollar I bring in from new individual investors and angels?
I know business brokers tread on thin ice in regards XXXXX XXXXX paid for bringing in investors but I am a founder, am I treated differently?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 4 years ago.

bizlaw :

Paying you a bonus for getting additional investors is not a problem. Other investors who are not employees run into the same problem as any other non broker dealer in getting paid a percentage of money raised. It is a very tricky area for them and you should have an attorney carefully lay out the ground rules. They can be treated as finders but it is a very fine line to walk. You as an employee officer do not have the same problem.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. It would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.