Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

What are the Benefits being a Non proft Org. Sometimes i would

Customer Question

What are the Benefits being a Non proft Org. Sometimes i would come cross websites that peolpe would build free open Source Software and sometimes i would see paypal donate button and they would say can you help keep the software free and they would say it's not tax deductible. Cant they get in Trouble even if they dont have Non proft ID Number?

Another question What is not for profit Mean?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
They could get in trouble if they do not have an actual non-profit tax entity formed, even though the payment to them for keeping the software free can be considered a valid social purpose of providing the community with access to computer programming. This would be a valid purpose to form a non-profit corporate entity and the companies who do not do so would risk tax evasion charges on all of the money people give to them.

Being a non-profit means that any money you take in for your charitable or community purpose and spend on that purpose would not have to have taxes paid on it and you would file a form 990 each year to show how much money your organization takes in every year.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I contacted paypal before I posted this question and they told me I dont have to get non profit ID But however if I made to much they could file it with IRS
Right, they can file with the IRS and either way, having the non-profit ID protects you and allows you to be exempt from taxes and not get in trouble.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I want to open a Wildlife Conservation Society Should I Be Not For Profit or Non-Profit?
And would i talk to a Bussiness lawyer about this?
Yes, you should indeed open a non-profit charitable organization, since this is actually a charitable purpose and you could even raise donations that would be tax deductible. You would use a local business or corporate lawyer to draft your corporate documents to properly describe your charitable purpose for approval of your tax exempt status with the IRS.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi

I got one More Question. I dont know what this Online Piracy Act means. I am Kids Internet Radio Show and I pay for my Music to play on the show. Does this Apply to Internet Radio Shows

Yes, you need to pay royalties through BMI or ASCAP to play music, even on the internet and you cannot just play music without such permission or license for commercial purpose and an internet radio show is a commercial purpose.