MDLaw
MDLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in business law, contract law and related matters.
16277701

I purchased a laptop computer and a printer from a neighbor,

I purchased a laptop computer and a printer from a neighbor, who has a business on the side. He set up everything and all is working good. During our business dealings I mentioned I'd like to get my old computer up and working, and he said he could do that. He is a neighbor and we had been on good friendly terms in the past. He said he would also set it up to work on the now cable wifi that I have had installed. He fooled around with it for a couple hours, ran home and brought over a wireless usb modem, then said he needed a disk for and upgrade. He left and didn't return. I didn't worry about it because I have the laptop, that I bought from him up and working fine. Fast forward five months, the guy has turned into a jerk, and has the whole neighborhood up in arms. We don't speak. I received a bill for the wireless usb modem and two hours of labor 169.95 total after five months. I ignored it, and now I have received another bill for the total plus interest 181.01 total. My question is; If I didn't ask for him to fix the old computer, he offered, and we never discussed how much this was going to cost, he charged 60 dollars an hour labor, and the computer never got fixed and he left the usb modem, and never returned, do I owe him for what he did. There has been no communication with him for over six months. Do I ignore him and hope he'll go away or what should I do at this point?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MDLaw replied 2 years ago.
Is his business a computer/tech business? Did he say he was doing the work for you for free? Did you ever ask about cost?

Also, keep in mind that we cannot give legal advice. We can only provide you with legal information and so we cannot tell you what to do or not do.

Once you have answered my questions, I can provide you with the legal answers to your information request.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
His computer/tech business is one of many things he has his fingers in. He didn't say his work was free, and I didn't ask how much it was going to cost. It was one of those situations, when he was working on setting up the laptop, that I mentioned the old computer, and he said oh I can do that....
Expert:  MDLaw replied 2 years ago.
If he has a computer business and you were already involved in a business dealing with him, the presumption would generally be that you were paying for his time unless there was an agreement stating that the work was being done for free. If you are disputing the bill, you should do so in writing, clearly stating why you are disputing the bill. Your strongest argument would be that the work was never completed.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. Otherwise, please remember to hit the green ACCEPT button as that is the only way that we experts get compensated for our time, expertise, and research. We do not get paid by the website and so we rely on customers to honor the honor system and accept our responses so that we can continue to provide this service to people such as yourself. When leaving feedback, please also remember that we experts do not make the laws. We only report what the laws are and so please do not shoot the messenger.
MDLaw, Attorney
Experience: Experience in business law, contract law and related matters.