JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in business formation and licensing issues

how do i protect myself from fake invention assistance when

Customer Question

how do i protect myself from fake invention assistance when i need help getting my idea to market
Category: Business Law
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 2 years ago.

I am an expert at JustAnswer and will be assisting you. I would like to address a few important issues before answering your question.

Please note, nothing herein is intended as legal advice, no legal advice is being provided, no attorney-client relationship will be established and only general information is provided so that you may analyze your situation.

ANSWER:
The best method to protect an invention will be to obtain a patent. That is completed via the US Patent and Trademark Office. You will likely need the assistance of an attorney. I see that you have concerns over services offering you assistance in getting the product to market. You can find reputable assistance by contacting the local lawyer referral service and requesting a local patent attorney. That attorney will assist you in obtaining a patent. Once you have the patent, you will have protection and control over the invention. You can then contract with entities to assisting you in taking that invention to product. But, you should have an attorney review any contract you enter into for such services prior to contract execution.

Please feel free to follow-up. These detailed matters are difficult to address in this context because of the vast number of variables. Sometimes the back and forth dialogue can help us sort through those issues. My goal is leave to you with a satisfactory answer..

Please do not forget to accept the answer if the information provided has been satisfactory to this point. Placing a deposit only ensures that the site is paid. I receive no credit if you do not press the accept button. If you have a subscription, there is no additional cost to accept the answer. We can continue our dialogue with additional follow-up questions even after you press the accept button. Last and most importantly, please be so kind as to leave me positive
feedback.

Thank you so much
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this answer of yours is obvious and not to my point a patent and an attorney are out my league that is why i asked you i can get it done with help without getting screwed
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 2 years ago.
I appreciate your patience. Are you considering filing a patent on your own or do you have a question about a specific service that is offering to assist you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
need to know how to get it done by using help from assistance company without getting screwed i already know the patent route and procedure it is too expensive how do i verify and use help
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 2 years ago.
I see that you relisted the question. Please feel free to ask follow-up questions. The more information you provide, the better.

The only way to truly protect an invention is with a patent. Without a patent you do run a risk by contracting with a service offering to assist you bringing a product to market. I see that you are asking about that option.

As to verifying the legitimacy of such a business, there are steps you can take to reduce your risk. The first step is to attempt to deal with a local company with a local office. If you cannot find such a service locally make sure the business you are consider has a physical office in the United States and has been operating in that location for years. Ask for references from the company. If the company is a corporation, which is likely, then go to the Secretary of State's Office web page in the state of registration for the company. You can search at that web page to determine if there is actually a company by that name registered to operate a business.

There will be a written contract involved. You should carefully review the contract and consider having an attorney reviewing the contract. You can have that work done for perhaps a few hundred dollars. You need to make sure you are not assigning ownership interest in the invention and that you are not waiving legal recourse in the event the company takes your idea. In your situation, without a patent, the most important step you can take is to carefully review any agreement you sign before giving the company information about your invention.

feedback.

Thank you so much