Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

I live in NY and I closed my business due to losses. I personally

I live in NY and I closed my business due to losses. I personally guanranteed a lease and now the leasing company is coming after me for the payments. The interest rate on the lease is close to 100% (20k worth equipment and $45k financed). I owed approximately $3,200 whe business wnet south and I dont have the $$ to pay. Can I use the NY Usury law as a defense?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 4 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Does the written lease expressly states the interest rate?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No it does not.
Expert:  replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately unless the interest amount is expressly stated on the lease and exceeds lawful interest rate that can be charged in the state of NY, the court will consider the fact that the amount of the lease exceeds the value of the equipment leased as simply a profit that the leasing company is entitled to make, thus using usury statute as a defense is not likely to work.

I know this is not an answer you were hoping for, but I have professional responsibility to provide customers with accurate answers, even if the answer is not favorable to the customer.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated