lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 35 years of business experience.
15417118

I have 3 different internet businesses I want to start in 2012

I have 3 different internet businesses I want to start in 2012 and I'll be buying a computer, phone, etc. that I'll want to use as a tax write off. I have never started a business in California.

What is the minimum I MUST do in order to legally start a business in California and write off business expenses?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Are you going to incorporate these businesses?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Alex,

I understand that incorporating costs $800 in California and requires extra paperwork, so I would prefer NOT to incorporate them unless one of them starts to take off and starts to make REAL money. Do you see a problem with this approach? If I don't incorporate, can I just start doing business or must I file a DBA with the county office first? And is there any other paperwork involved than the DBA?
Even if you file a DBA your accountant should be able to write off most of the expenses related to your business.

DBA would not provide you with any corporate protection and you will be personally liable for any claims related to you business and/or business activity.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I feel that my expert never directly answered any of the questions I gave him. I already wrote him twice and both times he did not answer the question I asked but talked around it. I'm not confident if I go back a 3rd time he is going to answer my questions directly.
For an internet business there is really nothing that you need to do except to keep the records of your income and expenses. You would file Schedule C, name your business something like Joe's internet, and file your state and local taxes as a sole proprietorship. As long as you are operating out of your home that is all that you need to do.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok. So I don't HAVE TO file a DBA?
A schedule C takes care of the business filing. You can call yourself a DBA if you want to but it is not necessary.

an accept for my time is always appreciated and required for me to receive any credit from JA
lwpat, Attorney
Experience: Attorney with over 35 years of business experience.