Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

Northwest Brands, Inc., is a small business incorporated in

Northwest Brands, Inc., is a small business incorporated in Minnesota. It's one class of stock is owned by twelve members of a single family. Ordinarily, corporate income is taxed at the corporate and shareholder levels. Is there a way for Northwest Brands to avoid this double-income taxation?

bizlaw :

If all the shareholders are natural persons, US citizens or permanent residents of the US or estates, the simplest solution is to make a subchapter S election. This allows all profits to be taxed at the shareholder level like a partnership. You make the election on an IRS form and there should be a similar form for state taxes.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. It would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Customer:

thanks. This helps in my applied business law class.

Customer:

thanks this helps in my applied business law class