Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Tax Law: I owe $200K sales tax to the state of wisconsin from

Customer Question

Tax Law:
I owe $200K sales tax to the state of wisconsin from years prior to 2006 from a corp that I owned. I had a personal bankruptcy in 2008, surrendered all assets, but the tax was not removed. I've gotten used to the fact that I will owe this until I die. Now my wife is also being billed, which means that when I'm gone she will still be chassed. Is there anything that I can do to resolve this? I tried Offer of Compromise a year ago, but it was rejected because "this is just too large an amount for us to write off."
Any suggestions?
Mike [email protected]
Submitted: 5 years ago via LegalInfo.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, if they refuse to compromise, I hate to be the bearer of bad news to you (although you have already heard this I am sure) but there are no other options to extinguish the tax debt and it becomes a personal debt that bankruptcy will not extinguish. Thus, they will seek to place liens on property or garnish wages and continue to pursue the debt against you and it is not going to go away and all you can do is continue to increase the amount of your offer in compromise to one they will accept and in the meantime work on establishing some payment plan with them.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”