Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

how long to keep business check register

Category: Business Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Business litigation attorney here to assist you.

The California Board of Equalization requires that business records be kept for at least 4 years. However, many businesses retain records for up to 6 years due to certain statutes of limitation in the Uniform Commercial Code.

However, the only requirement is 4 years: http://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/faqrec.htm#4

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

EDD sent me an audit letter for my business. I don't have 2008 check stubs and some of the first part of 2009 anymore and they want records from 2008-2011. I don't have employees and haven't for some time, but I am being audited anyway ( work out of my home). Am I in trouble for not having these?

Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.
You can be fined for not having the records required by law. You'll just have to disclose to the EDD that you don't have this information and see what you can work out.