Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

as a General contractor I hired a Fence contractor to take

as a General contractor I hired a Fence contractor to take out a 6 ft old fence and install a new 8 foot fence he hit a telephone line , that was marked with a dig test and he also used an existing post hole but went deeper, thus hitting the line. He is not responding to the claim for damages from AT&T so they are coming after me for the damages . The fence Contractor told me he was insured prior to starting the job but failed to send me his certificate. Am I liable for the damages of $ 2000 and if so what is my recourse to him
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Business litigation attorney here to assist you.

Yes, as the general contractor, you are responsible for the actions of your subcontractors to the owner of the project or for any utility damages. However, you have the right to sue the subcontractor for any money you pay out on it's behalf.

If you refuse to pay and the company sues, you can file a third party complaint against the sub and bring it into the suit as a party.