Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.

Acting on my own behalf ...pro per...I have filed a civil complaint

Acting on my own behalf ...pro per...I have filed a civil complaint naming five individuals. As I have very limited financial resources and the defendants are to far away to have an acquaintance serve each of the defendants. I am want to know if I can serve only the key defendant via a process server. If so, what would be the down side of this strategy. I am in California and all of the defendants are also in California.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
No, you are required to serve all of the defendants. You may want to check with the clerk of courts because you can serve them by certified mail sent by the clerk of courts. It will probably be a little cheaper.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience: Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am aware of service via certified mail, that is, if I had the addresses of each defendant. I have the address only one or possible two. Please give me an answer that would be considered the wisest strategy to accomplish the objective.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
The wisest strategy is to have them personally served but I understand the problem with the finances. You are facing an issue in that they can, when eventually served, file for a dismissal based on the delay particularly if the statute of limitations passes.

Why don't you have the other addresses? Are they hiding, you didn't have any actual contact, etc.? What have you done to find the addresses?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Except for the real estate defendant, the others are an LLP and I have only dealt with one address. I have gone on line seeking any kind of address for the other principal of the LLP but have not been successful. I will be running up against the statute of limitations, but not yet. I thank you for your prompt and correct answer to my question. Are you a California Attorney?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
No, although I have handled a few CA cases in the past.

Do you know who the members of the llp are?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, just do not have their addresses. Also, just got off the phone with the Merced County Superior Court clerks office. I inquired about their handling the mailing of the complaint to the defendants, and the Clerk representative said that the court does not mail out complaints. The rep even checked with his supervisor on the issue. So, now I am back where I started.... I am sure this is a typical problem that does come up often, ie not knowing where to serve everyone named in a complaint. Again...going back to strategy... If I serve one defendant via certified mail... without serving the others for whom I do not have addresses, what will happen?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
Your case against the others can't move forward without them being served. In addition, anything you do with the served defendant would have to be repeated when the others enter the case. There are a couple of ways to find the addresses, the least expensive way would be to serve the first defendant with the lawsuit and a set of interrogatories, one of which could be asking the correct addresses for the other parties.

Dwayne B., Attorney