David L
David L, Attorney
Experience:  Corporate and Business lawyer since 1997
11661736

Hi, Im gonna marry in 2 days. Do you think me and my

I'm gonna marry in 2 days.

Do you think me and my girlfriend can write the prenuptial agreement ourselves or I should take an attorney for that ?

Thank you.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
Hello. If the terms and protections are important to you, you should absolutely not write it on your own. In fact, to make a prenup more enforceable, it is necessary that each party have an attorney sign off. That way, one party can't claim they were forced into signing the agreement without fully understanding its contents. The other issue you have is that you are getting married in two days. If you do it on your own, this short time period before marriage does not bode well for later enforcement. One party can claim that it was done at the last minute without a chance to fully negotiate its terms in a fair manner.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much for your answer !

Ok so do you think we can both hire an attorney in emergency and have a clean prenuptial agreement before the wedding ?

Can the prenuptial agreement be written and signed after the wedding ?

Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
Yes, you can get it done, but you will need to find two attorneys who will help you at the last minute. You can sign a "post nup" agreement and it will have the same legal effect. The only issue is to make sure both parties are willing to sign after marriage. It might be hard to compel the party to sign, once the parties are married (some of the incentive is gone).