Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Corps, LLCs, Partnership, etc.
19305272

I have started a business initially as a sole proprietorship. I

I have started a business initially as a sole proprietorship.

I plan to move to a more formal corporate structure and need clarity on the following:

What are the advantages to incorporating under the following structures: Limited Liability Corporation (LLC), C Corporation or B Corporation considering the following factors?

Liability and legal protection of founders, officers, investors, employees
Simplicity to administer
State and Federal Taxes
Regulatory burden
Attraction to investors (e.g. angel or venture capital funding)
Attraction to customers (this may be subjective)

And how do those advantages change depending on what state in the United States you incorporate? (which states are more advantageous considering the factors above compared to other states)

Hello, I will be happy to assist you. After receiving your answer, and unless you have need for clarification, your accept (by clicking the green "accept" button) would be appreciated. Although you have made a deposit, I cannot receive credit for my work without your accept.

A "B" corporation is for a non-profit.

A "C" corporation is not good for small business because of double taxation.

An LLC generally is regarded as having a bit better asset protection due to charging order rules, but in CA if it is a single member LLC, courts have held that it really doesn't provide any different protection than a corporation.

The tax differences between a corporation and an LLC are none unless you take default taxation for a single member LLC, which is sole proprietor taxation. You could also elect for S corporation tax, which would likely be what you want (that's something to talk to an accountant about).

LLCs are also easier to maintain.

Really it doesn't matter where you incorporate or form your LLC although many websites claim otherwise. If you're doing business in CA why have an LLC somewhere else that you have to maintain plus maintaining a foreign LLC status in CA -- its just more work.

I believe I have answered your question. As noted above, please let me know if you need clarification, and if not your accept would be appreciated. If you are a monthly subscriber, you must still click the "accept" button for me to receive credit for my work, but you will not be charged an additional fee.

If you later open a new question and would like my assistance, please begin the question with "To TMcJD...." This will ensure that only I answer the question.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for using JustAnswer. Your "accept" (by clicking the green "Accept" button) would be greatly appreciated. Although you have made a deposit, I cannot receive credit for my work without your accept.

You understand that your use of or communication on this forum, in any and all ways, is intended for general informational purposes only and shall not constitute and/or be relied upon as legal advice or be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. Further, you agree not to rely on anything I say as legal authority and where appropriate for your own protection will obtain appropriate legal and or tax advice with an attorney or other professional licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal or other issue arises.

Could I provide clarification?