Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

50/50 LLC got Kicked Out, Partner Still Operating

I got kicked out of an LLC 50 50 partnership a few months ago. All of the funding came from the other partners father who owns the small building where the business is at and we weren't charged rent. The articles of organization we had a lawyer write up states I own 5,000 shares at 1 dollar apiece (and the business partner 5,000). My partners father claims to have 10-15k invested when we split (details in the next paragraph).
One night after we closed, the business partner took all the cash, drained the bank account and made it impossible to continue business so I did not return. I didn't talk to the business partner much, but he knew what I wanted in order to sign off. Today after a few months, I just stopped in and he told me to either sign over the business for a dollar or get the (explicit) out or he will call the cops. I haven't signed anything at all. He claims he changed the name a while ago (almost positive this didn't happen) although all of the signs on the outside are the same.

Questions: Do I own half of everything having to do with the business even-though I am not there? What do I own? Does it matter that the business partner's dad financed everything if I try to split the business up? (and actually stated in the beginning that we did not have to pay it back- no paperwork signed he just deposited cash). Any other info would be appreciated also, Thank you.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
If you were an LLC and were a 50% owner and one owner did this, then you have to file suit against the other owner both on your own behalf and on behalf of the LLC for the breach of fiduciary duty he has cause to you and the company. You need to get yourself an attorney at this point and you are going to have to sue them for damages you have suffered. You were entitled to 50% of all assets and debts of the LLC.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”