TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Internationational Commercial Attorney

HiI am thinking about Creating a non profit organization

I am thinking about Creating a non profit organization A wildlife Conservation Society
What is the steps I should take to start this project and How risky is a Non Proft organiztion? Should I read up about the rules of IRS?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  TexLaw replied 5 years ago.

I've created several non-profit organizations. From my experience, I can tell you that the creation of a non-profit is a very lengthy and detailed process. essentially, what you are doing is creating a business entity (generally in the form of a corporation) which is exempt from certain tax regulations and franchise expenses because it is not for profit. There are two levels of registration: state and federal.

You must create the organization first on the state level. To do that, you will need to follow the directions at:

Once you have obtained non profit status with the State of New York, if you wish to also be exempt from federal taxes, you will need to complete the forms which are listed for application for 501(c)(3) status on the IRS website.

Both the state and federal forms will have detailed instructions which will guide you along the way. Be prepared for this to take approximately 6 months to complete.

Please let me know if this answers your questions.

Best Regards,
Zachary D. Norris