lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 35 years of business experience.
15417118

I am a painting contractor and was working for another painting

Customer Question

I am a painting contractor and was working for another painting contractor. I am having trouble getting paid and its been around 130 days late. I did receive a small payment around 123 days late but the contractor still has a balance of over $6000. I would like to file a lien against him and was wondering what my options are. How do I go about filing this lien? I am from Minnesota.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
You can file in Conciliation Court, small claims court, for payment. Assuming that you prevail you will obtain a judgment against the other company. Then you can place a lien against any of the company's assets including the bank account. Unless it is a sole proprietor you cannot attach his personal assets. Here is the information and the forms.

http://www.mncourts.gov/selfhelp/?page=313