Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Can online business charge your credit card monthly and not

Can online business charge your credit card monthly and not give you a receipt? I could have sworn I canceled a service with OPPapers a year ago; and now having deciphered the gibberish on my statement; I see I’ve been billed monthly without receiving receipts, which by the way Justanswers does too…
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: Can online business charge your credit card monthly and not give you a receipt? I could have sworn I canceled a service with OPPapers a year ago; and now having deciphered the gibberish on my statement; I see I’ve been billed monthly without receiving receipts, which by the way Justanswers does too…

Response: Yes, the business can do that and it is legal as long as you signed for the service and thus agree for the automatic debits. The debits on your account are your "receipts." Until you follow the correct procedure as outlined in the terms of your agreement to cancel the service, you would continue to incur the charges unless of course you cancel the credit card that is associated with the account. So, you need to review your agreement/terms of service very carefully and cancel the service using the instructions given for cancelling the account.