Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

My father and i just set up a LLC with him as the only member

Customer Question

My father and i just set up a LLC with him as the only member and me as an officer, i have some financial problems and may have to file bankruptcy so i was kept off. If i did file for chap 7 how would that affect my financially if i was a member of the new business? Since i will be running the business and when its time to file taxes can i claim all the revenue as my own and leave my father out of it?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
If you are not an actual member and just an officer then there would be no impact on the business. However, if you are a member, that would be an asset for you to claim in the bankruptcy and creditors can attach your interest in the LLC for payment. If you are an officer, then you would get a pay from the business and they could only garnish your wages.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
you only answered part of the question, i also wanted to know about the ...well please read my last post regarding the tax implication for my father and if i can claim the income and keep him out of the tax liability aspect of the business even though he is legally the only member on the llc.
As an officer and not a member, no you cannot take all of the tax liability unless you are claiming all of the profits as salary and bonus from the LLC and then your father would have zero proceeds from the LLC to declare on his personal taxes (as the LLC is a flow through tax entity and the MEMBERS claim profits and losses on their personal tax returns).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just so I am clear... if I claim all the revenue that comes through the business as I will be the only employee, my father will have nothing to file pertaining to the llc since u claimed it all? Ia that correct?
Your father would file a zero amount on his personal taxes for income/losses from the membership in the LLC.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you
Thank you.