FLCORPLAWYER
FLCORPLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  23 Years business & securities law, NY and FL bars. SEC all states.
13539925

i am a business in stillwater oklahoma. i signed a contract

Customer Question

i am a business in stillwater oklahoma. i signed a contract that had a non-compete clause in it feb in 2010 for a inflatable franchise. The inflatable business was a bust by all means. i went out and bought my own inflatables in april for my family and to rent some. franchise ifound out and is trying to make me pay penalty. they changed my original contract twice. what should i do
Category: Business Law
Expert:  FLCORPLAWYER replied 5 years ago.

FLCORPLAWYER :

A non-compete is legal if it is "reasonable" as to time, place and manner. So for example, a non-compete which would prohibit you from being in the inflatable business anywhere in the USA for five years is not reasonable and not legal. But a non-compete that says you cant deal with inflatables in Oklahoma for one year would probably be held legal. So you have to look at the clause that they are seeking to enforce and see if it is reasonable and therefore lawful.