socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

can I as an owner rent my business license to the corporation

Customer Question

can I as an owner rent my business license to the corporation when I retire.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
No.

A government license is personal to the licensee. It is not transferable in any manner.

You could, of course, remain on the payroll and ultimately responsible for the corporation's errors or omissions, buy lots of personal liability insurance -- and then sell most of your interest in the corporation to a buyer.

Hope this helps.

Please understand that I "justanswer" questions “about” the law. I have no interest in providing you with anything less than a completely satisfying answer. However, if the law does not favor your unique circumstances, then the best that I can do is to explain what the law "is" and what it "is not."

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“ToCustomerrdquo;), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!