Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law

I am a commercial interior designer, a home developer asked

I am a commercial interior designer, a home developer asked me to preform pre construction design services on two multi-family housing developments. I sent them proposals for both jobs they accepted my proposals and told me they were writing my contracts and to begin work, which I did. They sent me one contract to sign and return, and assured me the other was in process. After completeing Phase I of my Proposal for both projects they told me to stop as they did not know but their other division had already hired a different designer. They ignored my request for payment for three months, and then asked me to breakdown my hours, which I did, they then asked me to substanciate my hours, which I did, they then offered to pay me a fraction of the amount in our verbal agreement. Can I put a mechanics Lein on their properties?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 5 years ago.

bizlaw :

If you did work on the project you can file your mechanics lien even if your contracts were not signed. You have a quantum meriut claim based on the apparent authority of the person you were dealing with to authorize the work.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.