Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law

I was told to form an LP purely to protect my cash assets.

I was told to form an LP purely to protect my cash assets. Is it better than an LLC for doing so? This is not for business but to protect assets only. Will and LP be effective for protecting my cash. I went through a divorce and my husband has defaulted on the mortgage and I need to protect my life saving. Again this is not an lp for a business

bizlaw :

A limited partnership requires that you have a general partner so someone else has to be part of organization. If you want pure asset protection, if you do a Wyoming single member LLC, you get the best protection for the assets in the LLC because the creditor is limited to a charging lien which means they cannot attach the liens in the LLC.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.