Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.
11068102

my husband was injured on our property this past july. he was transported to newton medica

my husband was injured on our property this past july. he was transported to newton medical once there the doc. recommended he be air flighted to atl. medical.
my husband and i are retired he is 64 and we pay for our on health care insur. which is bcbs. the bill for the air flight came to 21,000.00 (which amounted to nothing more than a 15 min. ride. our insurance pd. over 15,000.00 toward this bill w/ 5,700.00 remaining. i spoke w/ this company Rocky Mtn. Holdings and they said if i pay 1,000.00 now then they would reduce the bill to 3,700 and i could pay 154.00 for the next 24 mnths until it is pd off or they would send it to a collection agency. Do i have any options?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
Nothing realistic other than bankruptcy. You could try and challenge on it not being a reasonable and necessary charge but I don't think you'd be likely to succeed on an airlift type situation.

Since the doctor felt it was necessary then it is hard to beat the bill.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what i would like to know is how can the air flight demand such an outrageous amt? Are they not governed by anyone? Most people today do not have 21,000.00 to pay that they had no control of in the first place. We have NEVER had a collection agency try to collect on us and we have excellent credit---but--- i am thinking i had rather have this black mark on my credit instead of paying them---since my insurance has paid 15,000.00 of the bill. What can a collection agency do other than mess up our credit --- if we just continued to pay them some to show "good faith"?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
They can sue you and get a judgment and then try to seize assets.

The issue is not whether or not you had control of the what happened, but whether or not the services were necessary and the charge was reasonable, and the term reasonable would be determined by experts and not the people who incurred the debt. I agree it is a ridiculous amount, but it is not outside the amount that is normal for these services.